Friday, October 24, 2008

Navy Boot Camp Graduation

Last weekend Jordan and I ventured up to Great Lakes, IL to see Dave graduate. I am so proud of all his accomplishments, but this one really takes the cake! He is now a sailor and I couldn't be more in love with him as I am today.

Dave's Chiefs and Petty Officer.
893 Recruits became Seamen on October 17, 2008.


Dave playing tuba in the Recruit Band.


I am so glad that Jordan and I were able to make it! It was a rough journey (flying while 28 weeks pregnant with a 20 month old girl who hates being confined was a bit tough), but it was totally worth it. When Jordan and I got to the drill hall, about an hour before the ceremony was to begin (did NOT anticipate all that traffic, what was I thinking???), the drill hall was already packed. I find the seating area designated for Dave's division and there are a few seats in front. I think great because I'm massively pregnant and have a toddler in a stroller. But apparently first come, first serve doesn't apply to the man in front because he is saving all the seats. So I just stand in front of rows and rows of full bleachers... I'm full of so many emotions. anxiety, happiness, fear, confusion, anger, everything! I start crying. So embarrassing! Finally this one woman came down and helped me. She said she could make room next to her so we folded up the stroller and sat down in the space she made for us. Another woman went and found a Petty Officer to complain to about the man saving seats. The Petty Officer came over and asked if Iwas ok, I said yes now that a place to sit I was fine. I was still crying and the Petty Officer said "ma'am, you had better stop crying." I replied that I was trying! she said " because if you don't stop, then I will start, and I am not allowed to cry in public!" LOL!! Dave said usually the drill officers are HARD CORE and would never joke, so he got a kick out of that.

After that things only got better! =)

3 comments:

Kristy Lynn said...

Ahhhhhhhh, memories! Such a fantastic post. I love it. I am so relieved you were able to make the trip and came back to post about it!!!

Kate said...

I'm just glad we made it back!! There is SO MUCH i could say about the weekend, but my fingers would fall off from all the typing. I'm hoping we're still on for this upcoming weekend... jordan's not acting herself and may be getting sick. I can't travel much longer. This preggo lady is tired!

Thatcher's Mommy said...

I'm so happy you posted the video, too!! That was GREAT! It was so exciting to read your post, so I can only BEGIN to imagine how exciting it was for you!