Thursday, March 4, 2010

Do You Think You Can Sew?

Today I picked up 2 big bags of fabric from a fellow Freecycler. Not sure what possessed me to get it, seeing as how I have only sewed a few holes and buttons in my entire life. But I am so very very glad I did. I promptly went out and bought a Sew EZ machine from a Jo-Ann Fabrics store. Obviously, having never sewed with a machine in my life I wasn't about to spent $300 on a LOW end model!! EEK!!

Anyway, I figure I could give cheap-o machine a try and if I actually CAN sew, I will justify the purchase with the hubby later on. So, having a cheap machine, no good scissors (or else failed cutting fabric back in kindergarten), and absolutely NO idea about patterns or how to move the material through the machine, etc.... I made my first project! I OBVIOUSLY need to practice... a lot before I make anything fancy shmancy for my daughter, like a dress or skirt. But I think if I keep trying I might just get the hang of this!

Oh, and my daughter thinks her new pillowcase is the coolest ever. That makes my heart melt!!


2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm impressed! Those Sew EZ's aren't that easy to use. And yes, real fabric scissors are a must if you're going to do much sewing. Watch for a 40% off coupon and get some at Joanne's. Mine are Gingher...they are pricey but THE BEST fabric scissors.

Kate said...

holly, it is surprisingly difficult to use. Maybe I can save up some money for a better machine!! recommendations for inexpensive ones? what brand to avoid??