Thursday, February 4, 2010

Recipe Disappointment

Have you ever tried a new recipe that had such great promise but somewhere along the way you might have not done something quite right and the final product is disappointing? That just happened to me.

I LOVE lemon squares. I don't make them often because they aren't diet friendly (but what dessert really is??) but since we have a playdate today I thought I would make them. I like to bring treats with me, muffins, cookies, brownies, whatever! to playdates. I know it isn't required, but I think it is a nice gesture. Plus I love to bake and don't want it all in MY house. It just so happened I received my new Food Network Magazine in the mail when we returned from Maryland and there was a recipe for lemon squares. I assumed ANY recipe in that magazine would be the best ever.

I followed the recipe exactly. At least, I thought I did. The dough wouldn't stick. I added water and eventually it did. Baked fine. Phew. Then I made the lemon part. I followed everything exact, I baked it the correct time (until it set), then put it in the fridge. When I took them out to cut, the lemon part is just not quite right. A little too gooey. They are baked, so I'm not worried about someone getting ill from them... but it is so disappointing to me. I hate it when something doesn't come out right, especially when I made them for someone else. At least they look pretty...

I hope she likes them. I hope I don't get embarrassed because of my culinary screw up. I hope she still lets me bake for her!

I would take a picture of the lemon squares but I left my camera at my sister's house in Maryland and am still waiting to receive it in the mail.

No comments: