Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Star Pie


My mom recently got me a pocket pie mold from William Sonoma. I finally tried it tonight and it is SO CUTE!! You can use any fruit filling in them and I am totally in love with them. Now I want to buy the heart shaped mold (thankfully my birthday is coming up soon!).

A friend asked me for the recipe, however I sort of made up how I did the filling... so here's my best guess. The little pies taste so good and are much easier than having to make a huge pie.

EDIT: I just thought this morning, after posting the recipe, that you either want to cut the fruit filling in half or double the pie crust recipe. I had lots of the fruit left over, so next time I will be making double the crust so I can have 12 pies.

Makes 6 mini pies.

Crust:
Place 1 tsp salt, 1 1/3 cup flour, and 1 stick cold butter cut into 1 inch pieces into a food processor (I use a mini food processor as it is just the right size). Process for 8-10 seconds or until mixture has the consistency of coarse meal. Pour cold water into the mixture while processing (about 1 Tbsp at a time) until dough begins to form into a ball. Turn out onto wax paper and shape into a flattened disk. refrigerate immediately.

Prepare 2 cups fruit into a medium mixing bowl. Wash and chop as necessary (can use any fruit). Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp to the fruit. Mix thoroughly and let sit for 15 minutes.

While fruit is sitting, take dough out and soften to room temperature. Roll on lightly floured surface to 1/8-1/10" thickness. Cut dough with the mold. Place one cut out in the mold, spool 1 Tbsp of filling onto the dough, then place another cutout on top. Press mold until the two pieces are securely together. Place the mini pies on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Place sheet in freezer for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake pies for 20 minutes, until crust is lightly brown and center is bubbling. Cool on wire rack.


I made my pie with raspberry as that's what fruit we had in the fridge that needed to be used up the soonest. If I were making apple I would add cinnamon to the sugar/corn starch mixture. I'll probably make apple next!!

another EDIT: WW points are 6 per pie.

No comments: