Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tasty Thursday - Southwestern Skillet Macaroni


This has become my new favorite last minute meal. I always have these ingredients in the house, it is relatively quick and easy to make. AND it tastes GREAT! I have adapted the recipe from a Weight Watchers cook book recipe, adding more vegetables and changing the ingredients a bit. This is too spicy for my kids, so I cook extra macaroni and set it aside for them. You can always add more veggies to bulk it up!

1 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
.75-1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey (whichever I have)
1/2 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 can corn
1 (14 1/2 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis (I use hot), with their juices
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup shredded low fat cheese, cheddar or Mexican blend (I use whatever we have in the fridge)

Cook the macaroni according to the package, drain and set aside.

In a large skillet brown the meat until no longer pink over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Stir in the onion, green pepper, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir occasionally and cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and corn, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and stir occasionally until flavors are blended. Add macaroni and cheese, stir to combine.



No comments: