Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Healthy Stuffed Peppers


I got this recipe from parenting magazine back in 2006 and finally tried it! I tweaked the recipe a bit based on what I had in my pantry and my own tastes, so I'll post what I did. (The original called for mushrooms, which I am not fond of, so I often omit them from recipes or avoid recipes altogether if they call for mushrooms!).

4 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stems, seeds, and ribs removed
3/4 cup cooked rice
3/4 lb lean ground beef (I think next time I might try half beef and half ground pork)
14.5 oz can seasoned diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup corn
3/4 tsp paprika
1 cup grated low fat colby jack cheese (or enough to top each pepper half)

1. place peppers cut side up in a large roasting pan
2. mix remaining ingredients except cheese in a bowl. fill each pepper half, mounding the tops, then top with cheese. cover pan with foil and bake, covered at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, then uncovered 25 minutes.

You can also freeze the peppers and bake frozen at a later date. Bake covered at 400 for an hour, then uncovered for 25 minutes.

Each half is only 158 calories!

This recipe will be a new family favorite. I am so glad I finally tried it!

No comments: